Yesterday I wondered if it was OK to eat bluefish. According to the Seafood Watch, it's not. Though they list it as 'good' they go on to mention that "Environmental Defense has issued a health advisory for Bluefish due to high levels of PCBs, mercury and pesticides" and link to the report saying it's not safe for anyone to eat it. Co-Op America says no more than once a month because of toxin levels.

I know bluefish eat smaller fish and are oily, both factors that can lead to concentrations of chemicals in their flesh. But they're small, so I was hopeful that would cancel things out somehow. I guess not. Boo hoo, no bluefish for me this summer.

Previous: Next: